Saturday 20 March 2010

Almond Cookies

I am blessed with having really great friends. My friend Paula, in efforts to help find treats for her daughter Lila that are gluten free, and my efforts to avoid milk/casein and to help my brother's family avoid gluten, dairy and eggs, has us both exchanging recipes. Paula bakes more often than I do and kindly brings me "Louise friendly" treats. Paula recently turned up at my house for movie night with almond cookies and almond cupcakes baked fresh that day. Both were delicious and I got to keep the leftovers. The next day I had the leftover almond cookies with a cup of tea. As my sister in law has mentioned, gluten and dairy free treats are much better the next day. The cookies had firmed up and had a nice crispness to them. If you can eat nuts and are looking for gluten free, these I highly recommend, and bake them a day ahead.

Almond Cookies

1/4 cup butter
1/2 cup organic unbleached sugar
1 egg
3/4 cup ground almonds, maybe a little more

Blend soft butter with sugar, mix in egg, add ground almonds. The dough should be wet and sticky like very thick peanut butter.
Scoop spoonfuls of the dough onto a greased cookie sheet or a silicone cookie sheet liner on a pan. Bake at 350 C for seven to ten minutes. Test for doneness -- should be slightly springy. Better to pull 'em out of the oven a little early than dry them out till they're brittle. When the cookies cool a little, peel them off the silicone sheet before they get cold.
If the cookies break, keep them! They're good as crumbles in various parfaits and things.

No comments: