Wednesday 10 March 2010

Backpackers Pantry

I know Michael Pollon says to eat real food and stay away from processed foods but sometimes that isn't always possible. John and I had given our friend Bernie some Backpackers Pantry pouches to take with him when he went kayaking/camping. He told us they weren't bad.

We decided to buy one each and test them. Although I'm off milk we tried the Beef Pasta which had dried milk powder listed as one of the many ingredients. The whole thing mixes inside the pouch and served two nicely (following Food Rules about small portions). I didn't experience any discomfort from the milk powder or the fact this is processed food which doesn't sit well with me either. Plus there weren't any pots to wash, just our two bowls and forks.

I wouldn't want to base my whole camping trip on eating Backpackers Pantry but having one or two just in case wouldn't be a bad thing either.

No comments: