Sunday 18 December 2011



I finally made it to another Farmers' Market, this one being the last of 2011.  I had a informative chat with Dean at Food Roots Distributors Co-op www.foodroots.ca  It is always interesting to hear about what farmers and others who share my passion on local food are doing. I'm impressed the community is really making an effort to work towards the island being a 95% local food producing community.

I also learnt about Italian desserts from Claudio at Il Forno di Claudio, the hazelnut desserts were delicious and I loved the hazelnut flour taste.  I also learnt about Italian breads.  I passed on having a treat but certainly will visit Claudio again.  Thank you Claudio for the samples and the chat.

I wandered around the market and everything looked wonderful.  I wish I'd had more money to spend as I really wanted to try every booth.  Especially El Guapo Chorizo Grill which was making sausage chipatta buns with the most delicious smelling chorizo.  The hunger pangs kicked in.  I passed on this too as I was saving my hunger for B-Red Bakery where I had a Gibassier - orange and fennel brioche which was a flavour explosion.  The question is where to find B-Red Bakery goodies, well you have to Facebook like them and then they will tell you.  For a start though, try 2% Jazz Coffee 2621 Douglas and soon to be in the Hudson or Caffe Fantastico on King http://caffefantastico.com/contact.php

To complete my food journey today, I tried Organic Fair's dark chocolate bars for the holiday season. Would have bought a few of these for stockings stuffers but never know who enjoys dark chocolate in my family.  Not John for one.  Although he might have gone for the candy cane bar which had a very minty flavour. http://www.organicfair.com/default.asp  Next time we are up island kayaking or day tripping we have been told to phone ahead and drop in to see the farm.

Next market day is January 7th and I will be heading downtown again, by bus with my bags to partake of 2012's first market day.  I might even drag John along for an island food adventure. http://victoriapublicmarket.com 




No comments: