Sunday 6 May 2012

Birthday Dinner

We've been thinking about trying Smoking Bones in the trendy downtown Hudson building for a few months now since they moved from Langford.  Since there was discussion on where to go for my birthday dinner after having a lovely dinner at El Greco's for John's birthday in April, we decided Smokin' Bones would be the place to finally try.  http://www.smokenbones.ca/

For an appy we had the homemade potato chips and hush puppies shared around the table.  Both were delicious.  I've never had a hush puppy but it was an interesting bite sized appy and tasted fine to me.  

I was impressed that the menu offered a lot of gluten free options.  I see this more and more which is nice for those who wish to avoid gluten or are off wheat.  I did want the Sloppy Joe but alas as with so many restaurants dairy allergies are not accommodated as well as gluten.  The Sloppy Joe was prepared with cheese and I had to scan the menu for something else.  It teaches me to again ensure I have two or more options so that I am not disappointed.  I went with the burger, yup a plain burger, yes it was beef which I don't eat but I wasn't keen on pork and I eat chicken at home all the time.  All meals come with a wide selection of sides, one with the meal and more for $2.50 each.  I had the baked beans and shared some of Paula's coleslaw.  The beans were nice, not over done with sauce and the coleslaw wasn't smothered in mayo.  The beef had no filler which I could taste -- real beef and the smoked tomato relish with the bayou swamp sauce added a nice touch. Not too much of either to cover the taste of the burger and the bun was ok too.  

John enjoyed the Sloppy Joe, Paula had a burger with smoked cheddar cheese which she said was really good,  Karl had a bucket of chicken wings along with a Caesar salad, Stephanie seemed to enjoy her ribs which she had with seasonal vegetables of Chinese greens and a second side of candied carrots and Bernie had a pulled pork sandwich that was piled high.  I think all of us were very satisfied with our meals and were just stuffed enough to decline dessert.

Good prices too for the food we had.  A very nice waitress who was helpful, answered my query on bacon lardons as well pointing out those items with dairy in them and kept our water glasses filled.  

1 comment:

Mark Jeneer said...

Hey, Thanks for a very informative article. I am very impressed with your blog.

best pellet smoker reviews