Sunday 6 May 2012

Breakfast for Lunch

May 5th the day after the birthday dinner found us trying out another eatery in downtown.  This one is really new and already has a line up with a bit of a wait time to get in.  We thought trying JAM on a Saturday for lunch would mean skipping the breakfast crowd, but we still had a wait of 25 minutes for our party of two.  We willingly sat at the bar in the corner.  I was impressed with John's patience -- possibly it was my puppy dog eyes that made him give in rather than going for Plan B -- QV Bakery.

The interior of JAM is an interesting mix of reclaimed wood from the former Thrifty Foods warehouse, window frames made into shelving, old maps as artwork and a large traffic light hanging in the entrance to the kitchen.  

We were lucky to be waited on by the owner who was filling in for missing staff.  I like when an owner has an invested interest in his business and works to ensure everything flows well.  And from what I saw on Saturday May 5th, JAM is a great addition to the breakfast eateries of Victoria. Especially as JAM offers the all day breakfast.  I've seen a review of JAM that wanted more of a lunch menu, but the reviewer obviously never has had breakfast for lunch or even breakfast for dinner.

We both had the two eggs, sugar bacon (yummy!!) and toast.  John had the sourdough and I had marbled rye with peanut butter and jam on the side.  The hash browns were shredded and not a huge portion, just a nice side which was perfect.  John gave me his grilled tomato -- delicious!!  I have to learn to do tomatoes like that.

Two of the couples sitting next to us had the Three Little Pigs and raved about them and the Charlie Bowl got a thumbs up too.  

Our waitress let us know service was slow due to the crowd, which I don't mind as long as I know.  Even with the crowd our waitress kept on top of checking in with everyone, and had my teapot refilled with hot water the minute it was empty.  Our meal was served by the owner. Good working arrangement between our waitress and the owner to check on the 8 of us sitting at the bar.  Service may have been slow but looking at the decor and talking with John was enjoyable that I didn't mind sitting there drinking my tea.  There are benefits to slowing life down and waiting.

Have seen great reviews online for JAM.  Would like to go back again.  Of course, like all breakfast places, there is a line up so it's up early to beat the crowds or try it later before closing for a late lunch.  

1 comment:

Paula Johanson said...

sounds great! Glad it was a good place to eat.