Tuesday 19 July 2016

A new Kid in the Neighbourhood

Kid Sister is back!  Moving from their previous location on Fisgard, Kid Sister recently opened at 10 Fan Tan Alley in time for Summer Solstice celebrations. 



I'd had a lone visit on June 13 to take a peek of the new location.  Brett Black, the owner, offered me a free paleta -- a Mexican popsicle -- made from coconut milk dipped in chocolate.  After chatting while I savoured my paleta, I promised Brett I'd be back and bring my partner. 

I keep my promises. One June 21st in celebration of Summer Solstice and the first day of Summer, we paid the promised visit to Kid Sister.  Being a kid sister myself, I like that Brett named his ice cream shop after his wife's placement in her own family. 






Situated in the historic Fan Tan Alley, Kid Sister is in a great location to cater to the downtown crowd and tourists.  Whether wanting a treat on a hot summer day, an afternoon treat or dessert, Kid Sister is the place to go. Although famous for their paletas, Kid Sister also offers ice cream scoops, waffle cones, sundaes and shakes. 





The Madagascar Whole Bean Vanilla served in a homemade waffle was devoured before we could get a photograph.  My partner took this photograph instead.  Trust him, it was delicious.  My coconut expresso paleta with chocolate covered coffee beans had a perfect java and cream ratio.  Sorry there is no photograph of it either. 





Ice cream is made in-house using organic Avalon milk and eggs. Locally grown Meyer lemons to make Marionberry Meyer Lemon ice cream. Coconut milk from Hawaii is used to make the dairy-free coconut paletas.  I've tried the coconut chocolate dipped and the expresso -- both are delicious.  Will be visiting again to try the coconut lime paleta.  The fruit paletas use locally grown fruit when possible. All the packaging is compostable.




Brett, you will be seeing us soon.  Thank you for your warm friendly welcome and taking the time to chat about your business.  It is a pleasure to meet the local business people who make our city such a wonderful place to live. 
































No comments: